Tuesday, May 5, 2009

May 5th, 2009

Happy Cinco De Mayo! I hope all of you are enjoying your Margaritas! Wish I had one! I really miss them, LOL.

So I thought that this week I'd talk about X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
If you haven't seen it, I've got a few spoilers in here, so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. I'll try to keep it vague though.

Husband and I went to see it over the weekend. I can honestly say I liked it. But it wasn't perfect.

First of all, it just felt like something was missing. I guess, for me, there just wasn't enough inner conflict with Wolverine. He very quickly shook things off, even deaths of important people in his life. In the comic, Wolverine is gritty, feral, haunted. Yes, wisecracky and seemingly put together, but in reality he's a bit of a disaster. I didn't get this in this movie. It was a little watered down. Believe me, if 13 year olds read this comic and understand it, then they'll understand the same theme if presented in the movie. And no, you should not be bringing your 8 year old. There is violence in there, what's wrong with you?

There wasn't enough exposition explaining what shaped Sabretooth and Wolverine in their early years (that really stuck in my craw). We guess they had it rough, but how? What exactly happened to make Sabretooth really lose it. And no, being "crazy" isn't cutting it. What bonded Sabre and Wolvie together? What made Sabre flip out? Argh, exposition folks!

One of the things my husband had an issue with is the adamantium bullets. Would an gun shoot this bullet hard enough and fast enough to penetrate an adamantium skull? Sure it's an adamantium bullet, but if you don't have a special gun what good is it? They didn't imply that it was a special gun, just special bullets. Does that mean if I have, for example, an adamantium nail clipper I can destroy Wolverine?

My issue was when they were injecting the adamantium into Wolvie. Stryker makes Wolvie indestructible. Even says so. Then Wolvie goes bananas and jumps out of the tank and runs away. Stryker turns to Zero and says, "Hunt him down and blow his head off." HOW? Dude, you just said he was indestructible! Audibly. For everyone in the damned room to hear! You encased his skull in adamantium! Zero may be a minion but is he really THAT stupid not to think to himself, "hmm, how do I take down an indestructible man? Better bring a bazooka." I remember turning to husband and saying "how?". Two minutes later, after sending Zero to pretty much his death, Son of Bitch Stryker magically produces a gun that shoots adamantium bullets. Hello? Moron, give the gun to Zero! That might have helped stuff, if you, you know, give the magic weapon to the man who can actually use it deftly! Argh!

So what did I like about this movie after some of this ranting? Well I thought the action was terrific. X-Force at the beginning was fantastic! The best was Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson. It's a real terrible shame there wasn't more of him in the film. Not liking what they did later in the film with him though. And it is totally WRONG in as far as cannon is concerned, and I wasn't even that familiar with that character and I still knew something was wrong. Incidentally, Deadpool is an interesting character! What a crazy backstory!

I really liked Gambit. Not only was he a cutie, but they did a nice job with his powers. I wish he was a little more like the Gambit in the comics, but it's ok, they can develop him more.

Wolverine's Lady love, Silverfox was awesome. So beautiful and I thought she did a good job. Nice powers too, under used though.

The scenery was lovely.

It was cool to see some of the mutant kids.

But the suspense was a little lacking...because you know he's going to pull through. You know?

The movie should have been longer. 1 hour 45 minutes, made it feel rushed. I wonder if it will be longer on the DVD.

All in all, it was an enjoyable popcorn flick. Nothing really to philosophize about. It's no Ironman, Watchmen, Spiderman, The Dark Knight, but it was fun enough to be entertaining.

What did you all think?

For now, Gothic Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment