Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 18th, 2009

Good afternoon all. Just got done with my afternoon nap. Totally forgot to put on any makeup or jewelry today. Ack what kind of diva am I anyway?

Today I'd like to talk a little about jewelry! Yay! Finally she talks jewelry.

So I was pawing through my chainmaille jewelry yesterday. I have a few people in my chorus who heard I make stuff and wanted to see it. (Gonna bring it in a few weeks). It really made me miss the good old days of hours of opening and closing rings.

I didn't' quit or anything, I'd still like to make it all. I'd still like to to craft shows and sell. And I'm thinking I'm catching the bug again! Yay!

How many of you out there are familiar with Chainmaille? Think back to the knights of medieval times. Remember the chain armor they wore? That's chainmaille. Amazingly, it comes in all kinds of patterns, and can be woven as a simple necklace all the way out to clothes and accessories.

I usually work in copper, bronze, silver and titanium with a little steel here and there. Heck if I could work in gold I would, but I can't afford it. The silver is bad enough but it makes a pretty item.

My favorite weaves are byzantine, the Persian weaves, and the shaggy loop. Perhaps I can show a picture here. Let's see if this works. Reduced in size

This item is a titanium piece. Yes, it's purple. It is a European 6in1 to be technical. And it was one SOB to put together because, well, it's titanium! They're not kidding that it's tougher than steel! I have to use large jewelry pliers to put titanium together. And yet it is so light!

So I think I may decide to pick the chainmaille back up again as I miss it quite a bit. I wouldn't even mind teaching a class or two. :)

For now, Gothic Dragon

4 comments:

  1. That necklace is incredible! You'd make a great teacher. Didn't you step in as a substitute instructor once?

    ~ Welsh Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Welsh Dragon. Actually, it's a bracelet. I'll show you next time I see you!

    I did step in as an instructor once. I had a few weaves under my belt and wanted to learn a couple of more complex one and the instructor never showed so I instructed the one other person there. She said I made a good teacher. :) Soothing like that painter, Bob Ross. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, what a pretty shade of purple. It seems to flash pink and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Titanium is an awesome metal. The finishes are often multicolored like that. Saddly, the finish will fade with wear. My boss wears her bracelet every day. She's done so for the last year. The color has washed off, but in all honesty, I don't think she ever takes it off!

    ReplyDelete