Monday, March 9, 2009

Watchmen

Well, I got a chance to see Watchmen this weekend. Actually, I had two chances to see it. Saturday I went with a group of about 25 and Sunday I went with my husband. Everyone loved it, including those who hadn't read the book.

There were a few little nit-picky things I have though, and really it's not that big of a deal, but they stuck out at me as being absent from the novel, most specifically the Rorschach/Kidnapper scene. It didn't go that way in the book and to be honest, I felt the book version to be more impacting for me.

I can see the intensity in the movie scene, and it certainly was well done and acted, but still, I don't know, a little too brutal than necessary.

A scene in the book which was a favorite of mine was when Rorschach and Nite-Owl walk into a bar. Dialog missing from the movie has Rorschach saying, "We've been to two other bars, you may have heard the ambulances." I missed that line! I loved that line! Then later in the same scene Nite-Owl finds out his mentor had been killed by a gang of kids and he loses it in the bar and grabs and informant and is ready to destroy him. In a reversal of roles, Rorschach is the one to calm him down, keeping him from clobbering the informant. This scene was not in the movie, and yet, it was a very emotional scene for me and shows Rorschach's depth, as well as Nite-Owl's. Nite-owl, at least for once in the book, really lost his cool and became passionate about something for a change.

Some things such as dialogue that I loved in the book were missing, but all in all, I'm really happy how it all went. The prison scenes I was most interested in. Of course a cheer went up by a lot of us when Rorschach's famous quote went out, "You don't understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" *Gothicdragon laughs maniacally* Muahahaha!

If you haven't guessed, dear reader, I'm a big Rorschach fan. It seems a lot of people who have read the book can say the same. I think he's probably the most interesting character with the most interesting (and probably most tragic) back story. Ok some may disagree with me, that's ok. But really in the end he was the only one who fought for the truth, which is more that any of the other characters can claim. Passionate and yet dispassionate. The duality and inner conflict made for a rich character.

So, in a nutshell, I loved the movie. Loved the book. I'll likely be writing more about it as I'm really nutty for the story and it's characters.

Incidentally, since this blog is also about makeup, LOL...this movie, set in the 80's, really rocked the 80's makeup. Gosh I haven't seen that kind of makeup since I lived through the 80's, LOL. Heavy Lipliner, heavy mascara, lots of brown and taupe eye shadows and lots of frosted eye shadows as well. Wow. And the helmet hair hair styles. Wow, it was a flashback for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gothic Dragon!

    I agree completely about the kidnapping sequence, the book version is far more powerful. Rather than simply strike out at the killer, Rorschach's choice of punishment in the comic is very self revealing,clever, subtle and horrifying. I especially like how he watches the fire burn for an hour and "imagined limbless felt torsos inside; breasts blackening; bellies smoldering; bursting into flame one by one." I'm assuming that Rorschach was including the kidnapper in that group of limbless torsos.

    The ambulance line in the bar scene is wonderful. I think Snyder transfered NiteOwl's distress over Hollis to Rorschach at the end. Personally, I would have preferred more Hollis, NiteOwl and Rorschach and less Daniel, Laurie, and Jon, but that's me. lol

    As for the makeup etc., preferred Rorschach's hairstyle - it's timeless.

    Best of luck with your blog - looking forward to your next entry. :D

    ~ Welsh Dragon

    ReplyDelete