Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday, March 14th, 2009

Greetings all of you! Today's blog will be entitled, "But Stormtroopers can't sit down! Their butts would break!"

Mystified? My husband and I went to see that new Race to Witch Mountain movie Starring "The Rock".

I know that some of you were discussing this the other day, where I informed you that we'll be going to see it. In a stroke of madness, we almost went to see Watchmen again as well, but decided we didn't' want to be in a movie theater in the dark for 5 hours.

Overall, Witch Mountain was an ok movie. It's a good movie for a family that has kids. The plot was pretty simple, straight forward. Not much thinking required.

My biggest quibble was that a lot of it was set in some kind of fictional Sci-Fi convention in Vegas. You might have seen the commercial, a couple of guys in Stormtrooper outfits hop, easily mind you, into The Rock's cab. Hence my title. In reality, that armor is made of plastic and there's a butt piece that gets cracked if you sit on it, so nope, not going to happen. No self respecting fanboy (or girl) is going to spend 3 thousand dollars on a costume to crack it.

But I digress. The convention scenes were handled horribly, the typical geeks are morons kind of thing, that we believe that we have been abducted, that we aren't interest in real science, etc. (Not to mention that most conventions have real science lectures and they are very well and respectfully attended.) It all got my blood boiling, actually. It just perpetuates the stereotype.

There were a few stereotypes in this movie. The Rock's character himself, Jack Bruno. Bounced around in foster homes, arrested and spent time in juvie, then arrested for a felony. But wait, he has a heart of gold! (but he was likeable.)

The geeky scientist woman, who no one give any credit to. Black sheep. etc. Boy did she ham it up. Good grief

The alien kids. Wide eyed, innocent, full of powers, "we're only trying to save our home planet!"

The evil government military official who only wants to dissect the kids, ooorah!

There's even an alien bounty hunter after the kids....who looks suspiciously like The Guyver. Hey! And by the way, he's ugly under his mask, 'cause you know, evil stuff is ugly and good stuff is pretty and blond and angelic.

Ok, I'm starting to rant. LOL.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that the location of this "Witch Mountain" is the place where they filmed Close Encounters of the Third Kind." I might be wrong though.

SO I'd say I'd give it maybe a 5 or 6. I actually started to care a little toward the end. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, but it's a good movie if you don't want to think too hard.

For Now, Gothic Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment